Monday, May 23, 2011

Melon Update

The melons are getting ripe now. I've tasted my first Rich Sweetness 132 and sadly it just isn't sweet at all. Ah well, it is very pretty and productive and I am going to add some sugar or honey to it somehow. I have nine more fruit coming off of the single vine. The vine itself is mostly dead, but the fruit are in the ripening stage so it's ok. The light yellow fruit in the picture is a Great White tomato, not a melon.


My Black Seeded Ice Cream watermelon vine has produced just one watermelon, but it is heavy and full sized. It may already be ripe for all I know, but I'm afraid to pick it early. The tendril nearest the fruit has turned brown, a sign of ripeness I'm told. I've been thumping it daily trying to listen for the distinctive plonck of ripeness instead of a ping. I'm not very good at that part. It is pictured in its "protective" pantyhose.


The Wrangler melon is an Italian type cantaloupe/muskmelon. It is the only melon vine still going strong with new green growth because it is a hybrid with a full package of disease resistance. There are three good sized melons on it and one smaller fruit.


RIP Honey Orange vine. I didn't get any fruit off the Honey Orange and the vine is dead. I think I will try again though. It  might do well in the fall/winter if we could have a normal warm winter again.

This isn't a melon, but one of my last couple of cucumbers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amber...How exciting to grow your own melons. I had to laugh at the Protective panty hose holder...very clever. Enjoy those delicious looking melons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should market pantyhose as watermelon holders in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete