Thursday, September 16, 2010

Late Summer Garden Update

Even though it is still very hot, I have noticed a change in the air that signals Fall is on its way. The air is dryer and the the leaves are falling from my backyard tree. My over-planted raised bed is doing well. Eight little gaucho melons have formed on long vines. The pumpkin vines are enormous! I have two pumpkins that have set fruit. One tiny watermelon has set fruit. My corn is starting to produce silks. Even my sunflower has survived and is about ready to bloom.

This is the larger of my two pumpkin fruit. Growing pumpkins for the first time has been a real learning experience. Unlike melons, cucumbers, and watermelons, the pumpkin vines put down roots wherever they go. Because I have a small yard, I must let the vines out onto the lawn. This makes maintaining the grass quite a chore. I have to use a pair of scissors to trim around it. It is worth it for the hope of a home grown pumpkin.

I have also started another wood raised bed nearby. The cedar raised bed kit was marked down at my local Lowes from $59 to $14.99. It was too hard to pass that deal up. In the new raised bed I have planted two types of cucumbers, eggplants, peppers, swiss chard (they aren't too happy in this heat), and thai basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment