Saturday, September 25, 2010

Veggie Update

I went to the library today to pick up a book about squashes. The librarian saw the book and mentioned how much she missed the fall "up north" with all the pumpkins and apples and other Fall icons. I very proudly told her that I currently have my very own pumpkin growing in my yard. She looked shocked but interested. "Don't the bunnies eat it?" she asked. I informed her that thus far bunnies have not been a problem for me. Many people, especially northern transplants living in the suburbs like me, don't believe it is possible to grow edible crops in Florida. For sure it is harder to grow here than up north but it is very possible and our endless growing season makes up for the loss of fertility and yield. We sometimes forget that Florida has a thriving commercial agriculture industry. I don't use the heavy duty chemicals, science, and labor that the big guys do, but I make enough to make me happy. Here is what is growing in my yard right now:

Corn-Early and Often-Well, it made ears! I have my doubts about the pollination because I didn't plant a lot. It does give the yard a nice "Fall" look.
Pumpkin-Galeux d'eysines-A french heirloom and my first attempt at growing a pumpkin. So far I just have one pumpkin growing but it is beautiful and perfect.  Woe to whoever or whatever attempts to take this pumpkin!
Fairytale Eggplant
Moon and Stars watermelon- Still growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment