Monday, March 19, 2012

Queen of Sweden, Jude the Obscure, and Young Lycidas

 I have new beauties in my garden this Spring. Three more Austin roses have bloomed. Young Lycidas is similar in color and bloom form to Munstead Wood, but more "mauvish" and a little larger. The scent is also a nice medium strong old rose. 

 
 
 
 

Jude the Obscure sure earns its unofficial title of the best smelling Austin rose. It smells strongly of citrus and fruit in my yard. The bloom is a lovely large globular yellow that isn't too quick to open. I don't see any peach on the blooms yet. Maybe it needs colder temps to show those colors?
 
 
 
 
 
 
Queen of Sweden has these wonderful upright facing blooms that are densely packed inside and large and cupped on the outside. I saw a bee today trying to burrow into the flower. It has a nice unusual medium light scent.

I am very happy with all of my new Austins. Sadly my Abraham Darby has left the garden. It wasn't doing well and I pulled it out to discover a disease in the graft. It really isn't a mark against the variety though. There is some sort of cane fungus in one area of my garden that is lethal to roses. I think I've learned my lesson and won't put any more there. I will be getting another AD if the cuttings I gathered don't root. It was a great rose.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment