Friday, April 26, 2013

Lutescent Tomato

I was looking at my tomatoes a few days ago when I noticed that one appeared to look unwell. It had several yellowish leaves. I ran through the possible causes: nutrient deficiency, heat, disease, over watering, and under watering. I noticed the flowers on the plant had white petals instead of the normal yellow ones. I remembered that one of my plants was a variety called Lutescent.



Lutescent is an unusual tomato. This variety is known to develop yellowish leaves, and this is perfectly normal for the plant. Even more exciting than the leaf color however is the color expressed in the ripening fruit. The fruit turns from green to white to orange to red. I can't wait to see the show. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I will get to observe some fruit soon.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that tomato before. I look forward to seeing the color changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete