Tuesday, April 12, 2011

OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Tis a sad day in the garden. My tomato plants are starting to show the signs of TSWV.  This is a terrible virus that ruins tomato production. It can kill the plant, but usually stunts growth and seriously slows production. There is also a chance the fruit it does produce will have ugly yellow patterns on the skin although it will still be edible.

It started with curly leaves. I had hoped it was any number of other conditions that weren't as serious, but now one of the plants has little brown spots on the leaves. I've seen this before so I am pretty sure what it is now. Nothing can be done to cure or treat this disease. Since there isn't time to start over I am just going to keep the plants. I know this could cause the disease to spread to my few asymptomatic plants, but they probably have it already or will soon get it since I grow tons of ornamental plants that also carry the virus.

I did learn one thing researching this affliction. It is worse in the Spring crop. I grew a TSWV resistant tomato, Bella Rosa, in the Fall, but it turns out I didn't need it. I had no disease at all in the Fall. The thrips that spread the disease from plant to plant are most active in April-June. My new plan is to grow heirloom varieties in the Fall and grow resistant hybrids in the Spring. Here is the link to the article for the curious. TSWV fact sheet

I just hope get a few good fruit for all my considerable efforts.

2 comments:

  1. that's so sad! i'm really sorry :( everything looks so beautiful in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pulled out the tomato that had the obvious typical symptoms of TSWV. Some of the other tomatoes may have TSWV, but I'm not sure. They have curly distorted leaves but no discoloration. Perhaps they have acquired a different virus or the damage is from the thrips feeding? I will give them more time.

    ReplyDelete