Friday, April 15, 2011

On a Brighter Note

Ok, the last post was distressing, but it isn't all terrible in the garden. Today I harvested a tiny white Gretel eggplant, a small pattypan squash, some cherry tomatoes, and more german chamomile for my tea. Many of the edible are doing well, but this is just that stressful hot time of year when the bugs and diseases show up and it isn't as easy or perfect anymore. Life in the garden goes on.

One of my wisteria vines is blooming! A couple of years ago I sent away for two native wisteria vines because I'd heard Chinese or Japanese wisteria would eat me alive. I couldn't decide which I wanted so I got both Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'  and Wisteria macrostachya 'Blue Moon.' I planted them in the same spot on the same trellis. To my delight they have both survived. One of them is in bloom right now. I think it is Amethyst Fall. It doesn't smell nice like Chinese wisteria, but its bloom is very pretty. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi
    Thanks for information.
    Pls. tell more about the different for these two wisteria's.
    Hopefully they doesn't smell bad?
    Do you know about a smaller/dwarf wisteria - with less grow, but also hardy and with fragance.

    Thank you in advance

    Henrik
    from Denmark (Scandinavia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls' and Wisteria macrostachya 'Blue Moon' grow less vigorously than the Chinese or Japanese wisteria. I've only smelled one of them, Amethyst Falls I think, and it didn't smell bad exactly, but it didn't really have a good smell either. I don't worry about cold hardiness here in Florida, but I understand that it is hardy up North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've now bought wisteria kentucky 'Blue Moon',
    Lonicera caprifolium 'Loly'
    and
    Actinidia kolomikta (male).

    So I just have to wait and see and smell.
    I'm sure they all be nice.

    Henrik (DK)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your Blue Moon will bring you garden happiness.

    ReplyDelete