Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New Roses

I added some new roses to the garden this Spring. This really shouldn't be too surprising to anyone who knows me. I know I'm not supposed to get any more roses, but ah well you know how it is for addicts. The first came from Home Depot in a bare root bag. This was my first bare root bag since moving to Florida. I would never be so cruel as to plant a bare root plant in my sandy soil, so it's now in a large planter.  This is Comte De Chambord taken a few weeks ago. It smelled so nice!


Next accquisitions were also bare root plants from Big Lots and cost $2.50 each. I bought what was labeled as Reine des Violettes, but it quickly became apparent that it was not Reine des Violettes because Reine des Violette is thornless or at least has minimal thorns and mine had many big thorns. It was a lovely light pink hybrid tea. I really wanted a Reine des Violettes so I got another one and hoped for the best. The new one hasn't bloomed yet, but it is different from the other rose.

The next rose was an Easy Does It potted rose on Dr. Huey rootstock I got it at Home Depot. Dr. Huey is a big no no in Florida and I'm afraid the rose police will come and get me, but I, gasp, planted it in the ground! I agree that Fortuniana rootstock is the best for my area, but sadly no one sells it anymore in my area. I do have a rose that has lived on Dr. Huey for about 7 years so it is possible to get years of enjoyment out of them. I'm certainly getting plenty of enjoyment out of Easy Does It right now.


Bermuda Anna Olivier



Next I needed something to plant along the property line. Well, of course I thought of roses! I decided to get some more Old Garden roses. Since the only thing available locally was Knockouts, I had to mail order them. I got them from Rose Petals Nursery here in Florida. They arrived in good condition. I ordered a Bermuda's Anna Olivier, a yellow shrub rose, and a climbing Clothide Soupert. I just planted these last week and they're already growing. Clothide is already blooming!

Clothide



Clothide-Smells nice!


2 comments:

  1. Amber, you have quite the green thumb to get those body bags blooming and looking lovely. Easy Does It looks great, and it would be wonderful if Comte de Chambord would do well for you. I hope you hit the jackpot on the second 'Reine de Violette'. I have Bermuda's Anna Olivier. She's an excellent rose for Florida with really big blooms, but they age badly. Quick deadheading is necessary! I just got Clotilde, Climbing in February from RPN. She had a small flush, and now she's throwing long canes - two of them. I don't know yet what she's going to climb on. I better think fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments Sherry. I think the key to body bag roses must be that you have to get them when they are fresh off the truck. They don't even water them in the store. It can be a really good value though.

    I am happy that Bermuda's Anna Oliver is doing well for you because that is good news for mine. I don't mind deadheading at all. The thing I really hate is picking off the blackspot leaves because the thorns always get me. I don't have anything for Clotilde to climb on yet either, but I may have a little more time. I was surprised at how fast she started blooming.

    ReplyDelete