Monday, May 2, 2011

Eggplants


Fairytale-Lavender and White stripe

At any given time in the garden certain plants seem to due better than others. My most successful edible plants at the moment seem to be the eggplants and melons. I will post an update on the melons next time.


I have three eggplant varieties in the garden: Fairytale, Hansel, and Gretel. I believe they were developed by the same grower as a part of a series, but I may be wrong about that. All three are compact plants with smaller sized fruit. I think the small size works for the home gardener because it takes up less room in the garden and produces about the right amount of fruits to eat. Fairytale and Hansel I grew from seeds given to me by a very nice Gardenwebber during the Christmas Santa seed exchange. Fairytale I grew last year and this is my first year with Hansel and Gretel. You can see that they have started producing a lot of flowers and fruit. While I don't really like to eat eggplant myself, I think they are especially beautiful garden vegetables. Gretel (not pictured) is a white eggplant that I purchased as a transplant at Lowes.
Hansel-Dark Purple





2 comments:

  1. My hansel plant is loaded right now; probably about a dozen ready to eat. We have enough between the plants to make eggplant parmigiana. Have you tried picking them? Or using them in kimchi? My hansel plant itself looks horrid but keeps blooming and setting fruit; so I've let it be. Do you know they are short lived perennials?

    ~dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they seem to do very well and I like the smaller size. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete