Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hydrangeas

I thought I'd do a post about Hydrangeas. I love the lovely old Southern charm they exude. I have two Endless Summer hydrangeas and a Blushing Bride hydrangea. I wasn't certain they'd grow in central Florida when I sent away for my first Endless Summer three years ago. I've never seen them in any other yard around here. You have to take some risks though right?

The Endless Summer series are special hydrangeas that bloom on old and new growth. This allows them, in theory, to rebloom and to bloom in harsh Northern climates. Surprisingly they are really easy to care for if you give them part sun in the morning only and keep them watered. They don't get any pests at all in my yard. They are much easier than say roses and veggies in my yard. A hydrangea bloom lasts months, literally. When they get old they turn a pretty reddish shade and hold their form. Since we have such a long season I think they'd probably rebloom if I cut off the old blooms, but I like them so much I haven't tried yet.

I've been using an acid fertilizer and slowly adding sulfur to the soil around the hydrangeas to change their bloom color. In case you are unaware, many hydrangeas will change colors based on the pH of the soil they are growing in. A low ph turns the flowers blue and a high pH turns the flowers pink. A more neutral pH makes the flowers purple. The Endless Summers are one of these types of hydrangeas that will be blue, pink, or purple depending on the pH. The Blushing Bride is a nice pure white and as it ages it develops a pink blush or a blue blush depending on the pH. The first year my hydrangeas were all pink. Last year they were all purple. This year, joy, they are blue! Blue is my favorite.

9 comments:

  1. I love hydrangeas, too. I have an Endless Summer that gets no sun but does pretty well and hasn't grown very much. I also have a 'Limelight' and 'Pinkie Winkie', both H. paniculatas that can supposedly take sun, but again mine don't get any (sun is for the roses!) I also have two Merritt's Supremes. A few weeks ago I got a Penny Mac which will probably be a deep pink like the Endless Summer and another mophead I moved this winter out of dead shade. It has blooms on it now. Oh, I also have a Variegated Lacecap which blooms purple/lavender but they're small flowers and don't last long. I'm gaining more shady areas so there may be more of them in my future. I love your white one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that other kinds of hydrangeas will grow here too. I may get some more. Why does no one grow them I wonder? I think they like some sun, but not too much in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber...I'm always glad to find another Florida gardener. Your hydrangeas are lovely. Finally, after several tries I've been able to keep 3 different hydrangeas alive. One is the oak leaf, the lacecap and I don't know the name of the third one. Mine bloom pale pink so I guess I'll need to add some sulphur to get the true blue color. Mine are all 3 in shade and not very drought tolerant.

    I'm always amazed when I see some blooming in full sun. Perhaps there are some sun-loving varieties...do you know? I was tossing around the idea of getting another one. What would you recommend for a shady area that can be very dry at certain times of the year and very damp all summer? Thanks, and I look forward to visiting you often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think any hydrangeas are drought tolerant. I think they would need almost daily watering in sandy soil or perhaps every couple of days in heavily amended soil when it doesn't rain. Hydrangeas also like just a touch of part sun to increase blooms. Dry shade is a tough environment for plants. The only things I know of that can tolerate dry shade are cast iron plants and snake plants. I'm sure there are more though.

    I think up North in cooler areas hydrangeas would like full sun. Florida full sun isn't the same as full sun anywhere else, but then I'm sure I don't have to tell you that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great tips . that gonna help me for my garden .. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can I purchase hydrangea in the Orlando area?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the best place to purchase hydrangas in orlando is ordering them online from home depot. Not that expensive and the shipping was quick. I ordered 4 different times from them and they always came in great condition and actually are thriving in my sandy soil yard as long as I water them daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only have 2 hydrangeas at this time. One has been with me for a year and I am in absolute amazement. I see new blooms on it and am so excited. I did not expect it! My second hydrangea has only been with me for a couple of months...... it's holding it's own, but I can sense it's struggle. I live in Southwest Florida, they are both outside. My blooming plant is in full sun! I keep wanting to move it, but don't dare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for the wonderful Hydrangea information! I bought my first plant 2 weeks ago and have been terrified that I'm going to kill it. After reading what everyone has said, I feel confident that my Hydrangeas will do just fine. I was worried about our extremely sandy FL soil so I put it in a larger pot in my screened porch. The tag said 3-6 hours of morning sun which is wrong if you live in FL. I thought I'd killed them their first morning so I have relocated them and they're doing wonderful! If I hadn't found this page, I would've still been clueless. Thanks again, wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete