Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Fruits of my Labor

I'm more of a fruit person than a veggie person which is sad because my yard produces very little fruit. Ah well, at least I get some fruit. My Valencia orange tree still has about 4 oranges left on it. My Sunshine Blue blueberry is producing a little. The invasion of the green oak worms destroyed about 50% of the berries, but it still has some left. I've been picking them when they get ripe. This year I discovered that alpine strawberries will produce fruit in Florida. In fact the one I planted from seed in the fall is still making berries and looks pretty healthy. The fruit is tasty but about the size of a blueberry.




My melon plants love being in the Earthbox. In the same box I planted a Black Seeded Ice Cream watermelon, a Rich Sweetness 132 melon, a Wrangler melon, and a Honey Orange melon. The watermelon was the first to set fruit. I have one huge bowling ball sized watermelon and a small melon that seems to be waiting for the first one to vacate the vine before developing further. I have about maybe 9? Rich Sweetness melons that have set fruit. I have about four Wranglers that have set fruit and no Honey Oranges yet. I am concerned because one of the vines has redeveloped that stem fungus that it acquired last time it rained and vine is starting to turn to mush. It hasn't gotten to the healthy fruit yet, but I'm afraid it is just a matter of time. I hope I get some fruit at least.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found your blog on the GardenWeb blogroll list. I love the structure that you built for your vines! That is very cool. And the picture of it is great too!! Our growing season isn't long enough to grow melons, lucky you! (I live in Minnesota). Although, I am going to try growing my squash on a trellis this year. We'll see how that goes!

    Looking forward to following your garden progress!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete