Tuesday, May 10, 2011

More Roses

I have a slight rose addiction as you can tell. I know I shouldn't plant anymore, but they're so pretty. I attended the annual Green Thumb festival in St. Petersburg and I picked up a Heritage rose from Cool Roses. I mean really it was a David Austin rose in full bloom and on Fortuniana rootstock of all things. I couldn't pass it up. The Austin roses really do have the most glorious smell.







So, today I happened to be in a funk and went to a local nursery that had just received a fresh shipment of roses on Fortuniana rootstock.  There before me was a Abraham Darby Austin rose. I'd always wanted to try this one, but my sensible side had always stoppped me from taking this potential disease monster home with me. Well, my sensible side had the day off apparently because I got this one too.

Now I have to tend to two less than easy care Austin roses. The only other Austin I've tried was Teasing Georgia which though very beautiful is now dead. This time will be different, right?

2 comments:

  1. I hope it's different for you, Amber. I've never grown either one, so I'm no help or consolation. In the fall and spring I planted two own-root Austins, Bow Bells and Lillian Austin. I've been very, very impressed with their health, i.e., lack of black spot. I love their flowers, too. Unfortunately, with the time change Bow Bells is now in almost total shade. I'm waiting to see if she'll keep blooming. Austins are very exciting roses, and I hope these four make us happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Austin roses are very beautiful. I got David Austin's book at the library mainly just to look at the full color photos, but it's interesting reading as well. He has a very strong philosophy about rose aesthetics and how the blooms should look at every stage. He also talks a little about how he bred the roses. If you have it at your library you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete