Saturday, April 9, 2011

How does your garden grow?

It's an interesting time in the garden right now. I am enjoying all the flowers from the seeds I planted in the Fall. The tall purple flower in the photo is larkspur. I was surprised I was able to grow it here in Florida. It is all about the timing in Florida. You have to fit things in between the hot summers and the unusually cold winters we've been having lately. 


The edibles are starting to produce. I've have so many cucumbers from the Earthbox, I gave a few away. I had a few ripe cherry tomatoes, but the big ones are continuing to grow. The bugs and diseases are starting to arrive so I have to start being careful to spray regularly.

In case anyone in curious, I am spraying Bt to kill the the various caterpillars that attack tomatoes, cucumber, melons, and watermelons. When the cucumber worms arrive I may also spray a Spinosad product occasionally. I have guilt pangs whenever I use Spinosad because, although it is organic and OMRI listed, it is very bad for my friends the honey bees. I also use  the organic products Actinovate and Serenade to help with the diseases. Occasionally I also use milk (regular old diluted milk) and baking soda. In the cooler times of the year I use cooper and sulfur sprays, but it may be too hot for that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment